NEWS & ACTIVITIES
Welcome to the 'News & Activities' webpage of the Office of Marriage, Family & Life at the Archdiocese of Saint Boniface!
Visit this page often for news and updates on upcoming events & activities for couples and families of the Archdiocese of St. Boniface and elsewhere in Manitoba.
NATIONAL WEEK FOR LIFE & THE FAMILY
The National Week for Life and the Family (NWLF) this year is:
May 7th to May 14th, 2023.
In Manitoba, the NWLF involves a tri-diocesan effort
(Archdiocese of St. Boniface, Archdiocese of Winnipeg, and Archeparchy of Winnipeg).
The theme this year is:
Grandparents and the Elderly: A Legacy to Cherish.
Our theme follows the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops scriptural focus:
“Love one another.
Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.”
The Archbishops of Winnipeg are asking each parish to celebrate “Grandparents and the Elderly” within our families, communities, and parishes. We invite you to join us in marking this momentous year by celebrating the experience and wisdom of the elderly and their important role in passing on and preserving the Catholic faith through generations.
We encourage parishes to consider various ways to honour grandparents and the elderly, during the National Week and beyond, acknowledging elders in our families, those who have passed on, and those who take on an important spiritual role in our parishes and families. Parishes may do this in several ways, including:
- Offering a special Mass for grandparents and the elderly
- Hosting a grandparent appreciation dinner with the youth in your parish
- Inviting parishioners to submit creative projects (in the form of poems, artwork, music, etc.) to be displayed on our Tridiocesan website lifeandthefamily.com
where you may find simple guidelines, templates and some at-home resources on how to celebrate our grandparents and the elderly this year.
Printable PDF document: Click here!
Poster designs: Click here
For any questions or comments, please email: email@example.com
*NEW* HORIZONS OF HOPE - 4-PART SERIES ON PALLIATIVE CARE (IN FRENCH) - APRIL 19 AND 26, & MAY 25 AND 31, 2023
Want to learn more about palliative care? The Archdiocese of Saint Boniface invites you to participate in Hope Horizons: A Toolkit for Catholic Parishes on Palliative Care, a program prepared by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Our faith in Jesus Christ has much to teach us about how to live well until the end of life. This program will help parishioners, caregivers and family members facing a terminal illness to learn more about palliative care. Throughout the four modules, learning and discussion sessions address topics such as understanding the dying process, death, discernment and decision-making at the end of life, accompaniment and the importance of building caring communities.
The free program in French will take place on Wednesday afternoons in the basement of the Cathedral (180 Cathedral Ave., Winnipeg). - Module 1: April 19, 3:00-5:00 p.m. - Module 2: April 26, 3:00-5:00 p.m. - Module 3: May 24, 3:00-5:00 p.m. - Module 4: May 31, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
To register, contact Sr. Jeannine Vermette at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-330-8649. Please register by April 13.
For more information: Horizons of Hope: A Toolkit for Catholic Parishes on Palliative Care - Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (cccb.ca)
For a video on Horizons of Hope, click here
FERTILITY HEALTH AWARENESS SEMINAR
The Marriage, Family and Life Service of the Archdiocese of Saint Boniface is pleased to offer a Free, Fertility Health Awareness Seminar, with sessions in the Spring & Fall.
This seminar gives couples and individuals the opportunity to discover Natural Family Planning (NFP) & to find a method that fits their needs. Attendees will receive certified teaching on one of the following methods of NFP/Fertility Care:
Click on the methods below to find out more about each NFP/Fertility Care Method.
There is no cost to participate, however registration is required!
** Please note, that the Fertility Health Awareness seminar is an introductory session, and the class will aim to teach the basics and background on the method. Further classes, and the purchase of materials or resources may be necessary (at a cost) for those interested in fully learning a method.
For more information:
OR Nadine: email@example.com/ 204-594-0295
MARRIAGE, FAMILY & LIFE TEAMS
Do you have an interest in supporting strong Marriages, nurturing Families and promoting Life from conception to natural death?
What is a Marriage, Family and Life Team (MFL team)?
- A Parish MFL team helps support and strengthen couples and families by offering programs and resources that foster an authentically Catholic vision of marriage, family, and the dignity of life at the Parish level, for the Parish Community.
- A Parish MFL team works with the support and guidance of the Archdiocese of Saint Boniface Marriage, Family & Life Service, along with the Parish priest or Parish Life Director.
- Each MFL team looks unique, as each is built to meet the needs of it’s own parish community. One of the wonderful things about having a team in your parish, is that it’s a great way to connect with others in your parish who have similar interests and goals!
- The Archdiocese of Saint Boniface Marriage, Family & Life Service can help support the formation of a new team, to help you get started, and to connect you with resources and other teams in the diocese.
Printable Package on MFL TEAMS
HOW CAN YOU FORM a MARRIAGE, FAMILY & LIFE TEAM IN YOUR PARISH?
- Print the brochure and share with your pastor & others who may have a heart for building up strong marriages, nurturing families and promoting life in your church.
- If you are interested in creating a team in your parish, would like more information or to have us come do a presentation at your church, please contact:
Nadine Fetherston: (204) 594-0295 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marie Brunet: (204) 594-0274 email@example.com
Family & Life Sectors
151 De la Cathedrale Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R2H 0H6