The Chancery Office looks after all of that is linked to the Code of Canon Law. Furthermore, it is responsible for all the archives that ensure the memory of our particular Church of Saint Boniface.

 Among other things, the chancery establishes and maintains all the diocesan archives and acts such as, for instance, the acts of catholicity (baptism, confirmation, marriage, etc.), and also issues certificates and copies of such.

 As the “keeper of the seals” of the Archdiocese, the Chancellor countersigns with the Archbishop all the essential diocesan documents: decrees, orders, nominations, etc.

The Chancery issues the yearly identity cards (Celebret) to the members of the clergy being incardinated in the particular Church of Saint Boniface. It also keeps up to date the files of priests, permanent deacons, and of religious present in our archdiocese.

Finally, the Chancery Office watches over the statutory archives of places of worship in our diocese (parishes, chaplaincies, etc.). It keeps up to date the various diocesan statistics and prepare them for the yearly statistical directory of the Holy See as well as the Canadian catholic Church directory.

The Chancellor is of service to the Archbishop who entrusts him with various tasks.

How to  obtain various certificates

The Chancery Office sometimes receives requests for baptism and marriage certificates, as well as for genealogical information. We recommend that individuals contact the parish directly for such requests. If you don’t know in which parish the sacrament was received, you will need to this information to proceed.  It might well be available through the Centre du patrimoine.  The Chancery only produces a certificate when a parish no longer exists and its registers are in our vaults.

When someone requests a certificate for Church-related purposes, the fee at the Archdiocese is $15. However, when the certificate or information is needed for other purposes, the fee is $75. This fee pays for the research process, but does not guarantee results. Parishes may charge less.  Please contact Jeannine, the Chancery assistant, to request a certificate from a closed parish.

Papal Blessing

A request for an Apostolic (Papal) Blessing may be placed on the occasion of significant events in the life of parish, of individuals and their families, such as:

• Baptism

• First Communion

• Confirmation

• Marriages and anniversaries of marriages (10th, 20th, 25th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 55th, 60th …)

• Priestly ordination (First Mass) and their anniversaries

• Religious profession and anniversaries (25th, 50th, 60th …)

• Ordination to the Permanent Diaconate

• Birthdays (18th, 70th, 80th, 90th, 100th,…)

• Dedication of new churches or special anniversaries in the life of parishes or shrines

• Anniversaries of Catholics groups and associations

• For volunteers and collaborators who have served for significant period of time in the offices of the diocese or parish

To obtain the request form and the instructions on how to proceed for the request as well as fee information, click here.

The request should be sent to the Apostolic Nuntiatura at least one month

before the date of the anniversary celebration.



151, de la Cathédrale Avenue
Winnipeg MB R2H 0H6


Fr. Chris Nwosu

Telephone: 204-594-0262



Administrative Assistant

Jeannine Sorin

Telephone:  204-594-0262


Chancery & Tribunal